By Keith Loria
As the spring home-buying season approaches, now’s the time to make sure you have everything in order so that you can hit the ground running once the warm weather arrives. To ensure the process is as simple and painless as possible, take the following advice to heart as you search for your new home.
1. Be Willing to Walk Away. You may have found the home of your dreams, but that doesn’t mean you should pay way over asking price or make concessions that you don’t want to make. If the negotiations begin to head in a direction you’re not comfortable with, take a step back and really consider the deal. Always keep an open mind and remember that there are other homes out there—some that might even fit your needs better. Plus, when a buyer walks away from a deal, more often than not, the seller’s agent is more inclined to reach back out and be more willing to work with you.
2. Set Reasonable Expectations. Everyone has an image of the perfect house in their mind, but depending on budget, location and many other factors, finding a home with everything you’re looking for may be impossible. Therefore, it’s always a good idea to make a list of the things you desire in a new home and arrange them from most important to least.
3. Look at Homes You Can Afford. This may seem like a no-brainer, but prospective buyers often house hunt and bid on properties that are way out of their price range. While it’s okay to look at a wide range of homes, including some that may be just above your price range, don’t waste your time looking at homes that are priced anywhere from 25 – 50 percent over what you can afford.
4. Know Your Budget. Before you get too invested in the home search process, figure out exactly what you can afford by making a list of all your expenses, including taxes and insurance. It’s also a good idea to get pre-approved on a loan before you even begin looking at homes. A pre-approval will not only be instrumental in determining the amount you’ll be loaned, it may also help you get a leg up on any competition for the home if there’s a bidding war.
5. Understand Your Financing Options. There are many different types of mortgages available for those looking to buy a home, including several special loans one may qualify for. With so many financing options out there, it’s crucial that you do your homework to ensure you’re getting the best rate. The last thing you want to do is jump at the first offer from a mortgage lender.
Contact our office today for more home-buying tips.
The Lake Norman Homes Team
Southern Homes Elite